Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy Old Year

I really wanted to write about the new one. With the million changes it promises to bring, there is no better excuse to make a new beginning - break out of old habits, start something new. But other the certainty that for this one to be truly different, I have to be different, i have nothing more to say. So i will take the lazy way out and write about how the old year was new.

- I went abroad! For the very first time in my long life, ladies and gentlemen. It was great, unforgettable in a lot of wrong ways and some right ones. And whatever happens, it'll always be the first :) My bag with our passports got stolen (it was only the second time my bag was stolen but if you'd heard my dad taking to the dude afterwards, you'd be forgiven for thinking i was some kind of a serial bag loser).

- I learnt to talk to strangers on the phone. This has terrified me all my life, i go to great lengths to avoid it. But we were (are, actually) looking to buy a house here and that involves a lot of scouring the newspaper and internet for ads and calling people up. When we started out, i would mark the interesting ads and then hand them over to the dude to do the actual calling. Now, if he had responded to this delegation with - You are the best for filtering out the ads, baby, i'll take it from here, i would never have learnt. Instead i had to pester him into calling, fighting all sorts of excuses (its too late/early/rainy, i'm not in the mood, who wants to buy a house, i am not calling people up from the loo. Eh? Whats the big deal in that?) So i had to learn to be self reliant.

- I lost both my grandmothers. I dont know, maybe because of the distance and the fact that neither of them were particularly capable of talking on the phone, in my head they are still around in Pune, waiting to be stupidly happy at the sight of a grandchild. And tell her for the 100th time, without taking the slightest offense to the fact that she doesnt listen, to wear some bangles and bindi and at least try to look married. I know i said they lived full lives and i feel sad but not cheated, but given what 2013 is going to bring, i wish they'd been around.

- The kitchen and I got used to each other. We are not the best of friends, but this year we certainly got better at tolerating each other's presence in our lives. Next year, one of the things i'd like to do is to turn this uneasy relationship on its head. Given my looming unemployment, time will certainly not be a problem.

- The car and I also got used to each other. The car may not see it that way yet, my co-passengers may not see it that way yet, the driver in the parking lot who sees me struggling to park and comes over to help may not see it that way yet, the dude may never see it that way, but its true all the same.

-  I did not shine at work. This is new, while i have never been been the brightest star or anything, i've always managed to make my place and be the king of it. Here, its been a year and i am still trying to be really good at something. Its not a nice feeling, particularly because most of the time i also feel underutilized. And scary because i dont know why i cant fit in. Am i in the wrong pond?

There might be more, but sleep calls. I dont think i will be awake to see the new year arrive. Apologize to it for me, will you? I had a wild night yesterday, staying up till 10 past 12, reading The Left Hand of God.
 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Happy new year! :)

vinaya said...

Happy new year :)

 
Locations of visitors to this page