Tuesday, January 08, 2013

Belief

How do you handle the beliefs of those around you, especially ones that you do not share? Do you make them your own, or do you try your best to accommodate them in theory, if not whole hearted in spirit?

For example, i do not believe in Vaastu, but the dude kinda sorta maybe does. When someone asks him his stock answer is - i dont, but my parents do. But i think he'd rather be safe than sorry about the whole thing. It makes me cry to see south facing houses and plots go for much cheaper rates, just because the majority of the population wont touch them. But a house is something both of us will live in for a very long time, so of course we should buy something both are comfortable with. The question is - how far am i ready to go? Will I hire a Vaastu compliant interior designer (ignoring the fact that Bhai will most certainly kill me if i do) and nod along when he says the bedroom door should be on the ceiling?

This is just an example, and a pretty safe one at that. I'm still figuring out how far to take others beliefs. The whole thing would be a lot easier, i think, if i had beliefs of my own that other people would then have to comply with. At least that way there would be some give and take. Maybe i should start believing in the Flying Spaghetti Monster and forbid the eating of noodles* in my presence. And also all my kids will be pirates. For global warming!


* because i am not very clear on what spaghetti is.   
 

5 comments:

vinaya said...

I know, its shocking, right?

P.S. Your comment beats my post black and blue in awesomeness!

vinaya said...

Aah. I see your Joss Whedon and I give you Neil Gaiman.

Mohsin said...

Believe in yourself and make others believe too (bwa ha ha)

vinaya said...

Yeah? Lemme know how well that works out for you in the "future" !

vinaya said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
Locations of visitors to this page