Thursday, January 10, 2013

Second homes

At some point in my life at a workplace, it starts to feel like home. There is no formula for when it will happen, but it largely depends on me finding my place and "my" people. At my first job, it happened surprisingly quickly (in about 6 months) - thanks to a bunch of just the right people at just the right stage of life. And the TT table and the badminton court :) At IIT, it took longer, almost a year, which is surprising given i was actually living there. It took me some time to find my place, but once i got there, it turned out the people had been waiting all along. It took much much longer at my second job (almost 2 years). I was in a bad place and not really looking for people, but what do you know, i found them all the same. (I distinctly remember standing by the coffee machine, from where you get a view of the entire floor, sighing to myself and wondering if this will ever feel like home). Most of my gang was made up of "kids" (except for one old man, who if i remember correctly was slightly older than the big bang), but it didnt matter in the least. Here in Bangalore, its only been a year at this job, and i'm not at all surprised it doesnt feel like home. What i am surprised at is that its been a year and i still havent found my place.
 

2 comments:

Mohsin said...

Probability of finding second, third,.. homes diminishes exponentially

vinaya said...

I am not listening to you, she says, putting her fingers inn her ears and shaking her head vigouresly

 
Locations of visitors to this page