Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Milestones

Sometimes you have to look back to know how far you've come.

I came home today to a rearranged room. The "library" had moved in and the only occupied shelf in it was finally filled not with raincoats, not bills, not orphaned bits of clothing, but books. My books. Stuff that I had bought. Bought. Put a big smile upon my face. And i knew, the only person who would really understand that smile was me from 10 years ago. I wanted to go tell her, look, we did it! Just stood there for a while, drinking it all in. For the first time, i wanted a photograph on my blog. Something to say i was here. Did a quick scan and realized about half of them were SF. Of course at this stage of my addition, what surprised me was that half of them were not.

I just hope that somewhere, me at the fag end of my 30s is dancing with excitement, wishing she could come and tell me the same. Which would be really something, because now, where are the dreams?

4 comments:

Mohsin said...

I had a similar experience while shifting my room last weekend..
piles and more piles of books I had bought (mostly unread)..
but each purchase has an associated thought, where did u buy it, who was with you, what you were reading at the time and so on..
and the piles brought it all back in one shot...

vinaya said...

I read piles of books and then went all starry eyed.
Btw, isnt it a sign that you are getting old when things make you look back and not ahead? :P

Anonymous said...

god !! i so so so much envy you. I want to be this you after a year or two. A whole library for yourself. You did it and tons of congratulations for that.
May be you should have picture here so that even others may have a glimpse of what their dreams could possibly be.

And yeah, how addictive is science fiction? Super addictive.

vinaya said...

Jealous? Of me??? You made my day, you did!
As of now, its just one shelf in a cupboard. But its a big shelf. And a big cupboard. But more importantly the length of the "should i/shouldnt i" debate that goes on in my head before every book i buy has come down drastically!

Yeah, SF rocks! Makes me feel safe. Reassures me that i'll never run out of good stuff to read.

 
Locations of visitors to this page