Sunday, November 20, 2011

I want my money back!

Statutory warning: Rant. I wash my hands off it. Take it seriously at your own peril.

Its not fair. Not only does he get to be in another country, he gets to meet long lost friends like the Statue of Liberty and this madam, who then proceeds to invite him for lunch! Whereas me, who hasnt seen her since 2006 and the statue of liberty since forever, gets to sit in the same old country and there is no way to end that sentence without including positive things about my life right now, which would take away from the sting of the rant, so i'm going to put a full stop right about now. There. And my friends, who made me write teary eyed farewell mails, who gave me goodbye cards with heartfelt wishes (like - "good luck wishes"), who insisted they will miss me, who havent seen me for a whole month now, cant even decide whether to meet me for breakfast! (Aaha! Lightbulb! So this is what "you will be missed" means - even if you come back and we have a chance to meet, we will miss meeting you. Hmpf). I have decided to drown my sorrows by watching Rockstar and Tintin. I tried getting some nephews and nieces and cousins to come along, but somewhere between the time i was in 10th standard and now, watching a movie that will go away in another week at the most has become less urgent than studying for board exams more than 3 months away. To top it all off, i have the prospect of an interview or four hanging on my head ALL THE TIME. It all depends on how well the guy i sent some code to two days ago (two days ago! how long does it take to look at code, yo?) likes it, and so if i were to be the prudent and responsible version of me, i should be preparing for the future i want, not whining about the present that isnt.



P.S. I couldnt tell you what my 10th standard was like in the rant, because again, it wasnt fitting in with the theme. Mine was a wake up at 5 a.m. everyday to study kind of 10th standard. I dont know what i did waking up at 5, but whatever it was it didnt feel like enough. There were rumours of this guy in the other section who woke up at 3.30 to study. And who had already finished the syllabus by August or some such ridiculously early month. TV and movies were things that happened to other people. But, good times all the same.

5 comments:

Jana said...

Ha ha ha ... Thumhra number bhi aayega (lunch ka) :) Bas wait karo ..

Unknown said...

you know us and our planning :)
You shouldn't be surprised if it takes us weeks to plan a bfast :D

vinaya said...

Jana: Bilkul. Poti meri gaddar nikli, main to bete ke yahan chali jaoongi lunch pe!

Zaru: Of course. I used to be one of "us" :D

sinGularity said...

We employed people can't spend all the time planning get-togethers :p
Aur treat pending hain tumhari..

vinaya said...

Lalit: Right, of course. I was really expecting to interact with your secretaries. It is only because you guys honoured me with your direct involvement that things got decided within just 23 emails!

Treat, eh? Next time you are in Bangalore...

 
Locations of visitors to this page