Wednesday, August 25, 2010

OMG!

OMG! OMG!
Please bear with me! I think it'll be a while before i can stop talking in exclamation marks!
I just joined a library!
What do you mean, that doesnt deserve such excitement!
Do you have any idea how that changes my life!

You know the truckloads of pressure you are under, when every book you want to read, you have to buy? You cant just pick stuff up on a whim. The depleting bank balance, the filling up shelves, you are answerable for it all! I feel terribly guilty for the 10 percent books that i have bought and am almost certainly not going to read. I fear they will go through life with abandonment issues, all because i didnt know what i wanted.

But now? I can pick up stuff without any consequences whatsoever! Except for loss of time, but who cares about that! I can read crap! My dad can read crap! For 200 a month! Eeeeeeee! The remaining exclamation marks and the accompanying words will come with bullet points.
  • They have a pretty good YA section! Percy Jackson! Artemis Fowl! Phillip Pullman! All stuff i want to read but dont want to buy!
  • They have the Wizard of Earthsea! This is one of those books i cant not read, even though i am unlikely to like it much. (So what if i bought and read it and didnt much like it about a month ago. I'll never have to do that again!)
  • They have the first book in The Wheel of Time series! For some reason, i bought the second one first and there it lay. In the "unlikely to read' pile. Until today!
  • They have all P.G. Wodehouse (not that i mind buying those) and all Terry Pratchett! (i've already bought most of those, also i dont know what they were doing in the pre-teen section).
  • They have 18 branches or something in Bangalore! Dont ask me why i care!
  • I'm hoping the library will help me come out of my comfort zone. Try something other than SFF.

There. I think the exclamations have gone. To all those friends of mine sitting in Europe and showing off their public libraries, Ha! I now have a private one.

Landmark, my love, looks like you might finally have some competition. Also, looks like i might be able to keep my hands off the second season of 24 after all.

7 comments:

Jana said...

lagta hai poore josh mein hai gaadi ..
kuch tho hua hai jo -- itna josh le aaya thum mein. aur hamein nahi bataya :)

vinaya said...

Its truly and entirely due to the library!

Unknown said...

yea..200 a month is a steal ya! i hope aundh was a lil in the opp direction i.e. closer to my place :(

vinaya said...

Noooooo! Do not steal my librareeeeeee!

(Looks like the exclamations are back)

Unknown said...

arey...some where midway :)

yea..exclamations r nice :)

Pooja said...

Ahem ahem..the taunts just about manage to inflict a scratch

does your library allow you 20 books and 10 magazines at a time? and oh of course the DVDs, the count limit of which escapes me..

vinaya said...

Bsh. Who wants the sour grapes?

 
Locations of visitors to this page