Saturday, July 30, 2005

The week that was

- Got back my first ever installment of clothes from the dhobi. They looked wonderful. They smelt wonderful. And best of all, I hadn't moved a finger to affect the transformation. But before I could completely enjoy the lightness that ancient man must have felt on seeing golden brown toast pop out of an automatic toaster, an immense sense of responsibility weighed me down. I realized that a major attitude and lifestyle change was called for. No longer could clothes be carelessly strewn on my chair, bed or floor. No longer could they be stashed in the cupboard to make place for the occasional visitor. They had to be respected!

- Met the mother-in-law and 2 year old daughter of one of the new students. They had come all the way from Chennai to Kanpur to settle her into what will be her home for the next two years. And were going back to life(?) in Chennai. At first, the child appeared surprisingly unaffected. She readily left her granny and followed akka to the TV room to watch Pogo. But she'd walk out every 5 minutes and ask any passer-by "Amma enga" (where is mother?), not caring that she never got an answer. The granny of course put up a brave front and said she'll get used to it. Sometimes, right thing at the wrong time amounts to a wrong thing.

- Realized that at least in the technical arena, any problem you face someone else has already overcome! And google helps you get in touch with that special someone. Restores your faith in humanity when you see how helpful people are towards faceless strangers sitting at the other end of the earth!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was back here :-). Didn't understand much of this post through, probably becaus eI hardly know about you. I understand you study in IIT Kanpur and probably belongs to Chennai/TN. But didn't get the part about new responsibility and not being able to be careless about clothes.

Anonymous said...

As for Google, on Guru Poornima, I had a good mind to set up an aarti ki thaali for this new God of lesser beings ;-)

~Pooja

vinaya said...

Just That: Right on both counts. And about clothes, since i pay to get them washed and ironed, i have to treat them more carefully!

Pooja: Great idea!! Should have done that. Next year, maybe we could do it together :)

Anonymous said...

Did you get my offliners? Ping me when you are free (*if and only when you are free*)

~Pooja

Keshav said...

Excuse me if I say I found this post amusing! :)

vinaya said...

You are allowed to :)
A couple of questions, if you come back here.
1. Which part, specifically?
2. Do you wash your own clothes?

Keshav said...

The dhobi and respect part!
Yes, I wash my own clothes, nobody else's. :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for explaining the mystery :-). Tired of blogging or what? No new entries for almost half a month.
By the way, I am Sujay. I use the name "Just That" on my blog because it reflects some rather unconventional ideas about life and work, which I don't want my employers to find by accident :-)

 
Locations of visitors to this page