Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Lessons (i wish) driving has taught me

Sometimes when someone right ahead of you is driving as if the road belongs to him, honk! It is very possible he isn’t aware he is blocking you, it is possible he is a nice guy and will move, it is of course also possible he is an ass and will ignore you or that he is doing it on purpose, but poochne mein kya jaata hai?
(Mera poochne mein bahut kuch jaata hai. It is surprising the lengths to which I will go just to avoid asking. )

Its only when you drive a two wheeler after you’ve been driving a car for a while, that you appreciate the freedom and flexibility it gives you! I have become a much more effective "activa driver" since I started taking out the car. Reminds me of this story my mom used to tell us. Maybe I should re-visit bikes, now that gears are not the scary things they used to be.
(Anyone wants to volunteer their bike? Dude’s bike is ancient and requires special handling and Bhai’s bike is huge and also requires special handling).

And lastly, second gear is the man! I have no idea of the broader applicability of that lesson in life, but in driving, it has made all the difference. I am a better driver because of it. Last week for the first time I had a non-family passenger in the car and he didn’t jump off the car or close his eyes and pray or anything! He just sat there talking and giving directions and though I haven’t officially asked for his feedback, I hereby declare another milestone crossed.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

aah..I hafta learn to drive a car! (When I get over my inertia :D)

vinaya said...

yes you do! Its the best feeling when you actually manage to control the beast :D

 
Locations of visitors to this page