Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Naan ITR Kadavul

(translates to: Me the Income Tax Returns God)

Did it myself this year too. They make it more and more saral each year, really. Let me give you the highlights of this year's journey, which, if all goes well, will end tomorrow at the IT office.

1. Filled the form for the wrong assessment year. Which, in the 6th year of doing your taxes yourself, one should not make mistakes about.

2. Paid tax on bank interest
- added quarterly interests incorrectly (yes, used a calculator) AND
- filled the wrong challan AND
- for the wrong assessment year
Ended up paying more tax than necessary.

3. Wrote an application requesting the assessing officer to correct the assessment year. Dad dictated. I typed. Saved it in notepad. With the name "stupidity". Printed it. The application now has the word "stupidity" at the place traditionally reserved for the pilliyar shuzi (i.e. in the top center)

4. Dad and I got bhai to fill the ITR form. For the wrong assessment year. He was so exhausted by the end of it, i dont think he is filing returns again. Ever. Today dad brings up the point that he may not exactly be an employee.

5. Assess became the word i have most frequently typed/written over the past couple of days. Even more than semi-colon, which is probably not a word anyway? And every time i write that word, the first 3 letters stand out in bold and do a little dance.


Who says Gods dont make mistakes.


P.S. Next year the plan is to have a home loan. Whether i have a home or not. I have heard ITRs get terribly complicated if home loans are involved. So my ego will shut up and let me dump the whole thing on an agent.

7 comments:

Jana said...

We have Softwares like Turbotax which makes it so much easier to file both state and federal taxes, everything online!

Now don't ask me why are you paying taxes since you are not employed yet :(

I'm sure I will make tons of mistakes just like you if I was in India -- aakhir ek hi khoon hai na :P

vinaya said...

Come on. As a software engineer you must know
a. software cannot be idiot proof-ed!
b. users are idiots

Yahan bhi, the forms are really good.

Jana said...

Ha ha .... Maa thu idiot nahi hai, balki 3 idiot hai :P

Pooja said...

Why am I not surprised. Reminds me of the famous tying the bags in Dani's car.

I have outsourced my returns to certain people who are extremely interested in my money and ensure I don't lose any.

vinaya said...

We arent living that down ever, are we?
Wow! I gotto find me such people. Btw, do they also ensure you dont get any? :P

Mohsin said...

swavalamban ki kimat.. wah wahh.. :p

vinaya said...

Do safed baal... is saal sauda mehenga pada :(

 
Locations of visitors to this page