Thursday, March 20, 2008

The art of selling

I bought shoes. For 4K+. Its all towards developing my new hobby, i console myself. On the surface of it, it should seem quite impossible to see how a salesman can offload a pair of shoes on someone like me for money like that. But study the psychology of the individual, and it’s a simple 5 step thing.

Step 1: Sigh at my foot size.
(Me to myself: Yeah, i know. Please have something in my size. Please. Anything)

Step 2: Ask me my budget and show me shoes more than slightly above my limit. Make me fall in love with them. Okay, so i don’t fall in love with shoes. Make me comfortable with the idea of living with them.
(Me to myself: They are quite hideous. And white too. But really, are looks what i'm looking for in a shoe? They do feel nice. )

Step 3: Tell me what they cost.
(Me to myself: Damn! No way. Damn you, you direct descendent of Satan. Why did you tell me this after i got used to them?)

Step 4: Show me shoes within my budget. Rest assured, you have already spoiled them for me.
(Me to myself: These are okay. But there must be a reason why they cost less. What is my limit after all? Isn’t it just an arbitrary number I came up with? Wouldn’t it be stupid if I was stuck with the wrong shoes just because I was unwilling to change?)

Step 5: Praise the first pair. Tell me they are the answer to all my problems. Tell me they prevent back pain (got that, check), knee pain (check) heel pain (check. OMG, he is in my head!). Also tell me they cure all of the above if I already have them. At this point, I’ll believe you if you tell me they bring about world peace.

And you’re home.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page