Saturday, December 09, 2006

Not to be

I've found something else i don't want to be. I figure if i keep at this long enough, I'll eventually be what i want to be.
I don't want to be included in the log that people seem to fear and respect so much when they say "log kya kahenge". I do not want to dictate peoples views, actions, lives, definitely not indirectly, definitely not as a nameless, faceless mass that cannot be argued with. I do not want to be the reason Mrs Subramaniam's daughter cannot cut her hair short. I also do not want to be the reason Mr Sharma stubbornly refuses to take his errant son back into the family. I definitely no not want to be the reason Srygdh abandons his plan of murdering his wife and running away with his secretary. Not that i am for his plan, not for a moment, but I'm not comfortable with that kind of power. I cannot walk around knowing that one encouraging nod of my head and the next thing i know, poor late Mrs Srygdh's ghost has taken up permanent residence in my bathroom, moaning about how her life was incomplete because it ended before she could get her daughter married.
Seems to me there is only one way to not be what i don't want to be. And that is, to stop letting log's opinions dictate my life. Once i do that, i automatically lose the right to disapprove of any one's life choices. I'll be so far down log's morality scale, I'll be out!

3 comments:

vinaya said...

No, everyone cant. And i dont think they want to either. They find some kind of security in numbers. "I may go to hell, but so will everyone else"... i must admit i can see why people find that comforting!

P.S. Thanks :)

Unknown said...

the "collective" log is not that easily shooed off by defiance.... like they say the non confirmist confirms to non confirmity (spellings were never my thing!) the minute you defy they put u in the lot who would approve by your dis approval.. once you approve it autmatically becomes the thing to oppose...
you either do it cos everyones doing uit .. r everyone does it cos u dont!...
the responsiblilty is yours no getting around it. the trick is live and let die..!
the choice was yours you took it.. its theirs now.. let them use it... you are not to be blamd for openionating...the weak listen.. the strong dont... that is allt here is to it.. its not anybodies responsiblity.. its their foolishness to think it is... they are as important as you make them...

vinaya said...

Welcome. Thank you. I will now stop being so formal.
It makes a lot of sense after you explained it to me. Which is practically a given... you know you can talk anyone into commiting a murder and without the guilt too!

 
Locations of visitors to this page