Monday, November 13, 2006

Aaaaaaaa

I feel kind of left out. And dumb. A silent revolution seems to have taken place around the world without my knowledge or participation. Unless, there was a lot of hungaama, widespread protests, which makes me deaf as well as blind. Whatever be the case, from around the beginning of 2006 the world seems to have agreed that Vinaya is a guy's name. Just like that. Indian railways has been doing that forever, but I thought the rest of the world would have more sense. The only explanation I have been able to come up with the universal lack of recognition of the trailing "a" is - "Rama is to Ram what Vinaya is to Vinay". I've lost count of how many of my phone conversations follow the following general format:

Me: Hello
Caller: Hello. Can I speak to Vinay N?
Me: Speaking
Caller: Mr. Vinay N?
Me: Speaking.
Caller: Hello? (unwilling to believe that connection can distort voices so much in this day and age) Can I talk to MISTER Vinay N?
Me: SPEAKING
Caller: Oooh, its VinayA. He he.
Me: Yeah, my name is very funny. What can I do for you?

It happens regardless of age, gender, education, geography, which is why I believe its a worldwide phenomenon. My hard earned degree was awarded, both during rehearsals and the actual ceremony, to Vinay N. Apparently, the world famous professor considered it more probable for a girl to answer to the name of Vinay than for Vinaya to actually be a name. (Her parents must have wanted a boy, he must have thought, if his thoughts ever stooped to such levels).
Maybe it would help if I would start to write my name as VinayA. But then, what happens to my name on capitals only official forms? Brilliant idea, I could change the spelling! Vinayaa, Vinayaaa, Vinayea, Vinayeah... I'd better consult a numerologist before I do anything rash. My whole future might depend on which letter I use to distort my name!

(Three cheers to me for single handedly typing out this post! Knowledge acquired as part of this process - keyboard shortcuts are not so great for us handicapped folks)

5 comments:

Pradeep Nair said...

Being insensitive and careless with someone else's name is very very bad. When we buy a pen, most of us write out our name first. I always protest when people take liberty with the spelling of other's names.

Sumit Sorde said...

:))
Bhaisahab! u r back :)
No need to consult any numerologist. WE ALL will help u in finding a new name ;)
My suggestion for the naming process: Vinie (the pooh)!
Vinie N..seems like a female ;)

Arjun Karande said...

Umm... The overenthusiastic quizzie?

vinaya said...

Pradeep: ??Good for you! Looks like i have touched a raw nerve!

Sumit: Vinnie? Think it'll suit me?

Kaushik: The memory of an elephant, i must say! Pseudo-GPL?? Not if u compare it to what the other girls got (away with)
(A: Phoebe on naming one of the triplets "The Hulk". What do i get for answering that?)

vinaya said...

He ha ha. Shame on you, Arjun!

 
Locations of visitors to this page