Thursday, April 23, 2009

Jaago re!

Election kitne baje khulta hai appa?

Appa I'll come with you to the booth.

Appa why dont i have an voters card like you do?

Appa i cant find my name :(

Appa you have my passport no?

But the question i'm most proud not having asked this time. Whom are you going to vote for, Appa? We ended up voting for different people, different parties, but probably not very different lives.

I went to the ink dotting lady (the dot i used to dream of as a kid is now a thin long non-descript line) and confidently thrust my thumb to be dotted. I would have died of embaressment but for the following:

1. The guy checking the identity proof stared at my passport for a long time and then hesitantly asked - Madam, is this your Voter ID Card? I think i can see how he got there. Everyone gives me a Voter ID card. This one seems to have given me a book. Why would she give me a book? She doesnt look particularly mad. Plus, it does have a photo. Maybe the EC now gives a booklet full of Voter ID cards? One page per election? Yeah. I better ask.

2. The boss sitting at a faraway chair heard passport and yelled back - Dont accept her passport as identity proof unless it has a photograph!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

yeah...looking at the state of things i feel all the more guilty...i hafta get myself registered...!!

vinaya said...

Yes! Plus the blue line that used to be a dot is a lot of fun! I hope they change it back to a dot next time though.

 
Locations of visitors to this page