Saturday, January 27, 2007

Why

Like there aren't enough already, i come up with yet another basis on which to classify people.
- those who ask why before the act
- those who ask why after the act
- those uncomplicated, carefree souls who do not bother

I, of course, do not bother.

But, having been subjected to several post dated whys recently (Yaaay! I'm at the top of the tree. Now why did want to climb it? Or more interestingly, this is the secret password that will give you access to all my millions. Now why did i tell you that?), i decided to ask myself one. Just to see how the other half, err... third of the world lives.

Why do I write.

Sometimes it is because i want to. (Earth shattering, isn't it?) Some interesting event or idea that i would like to put to words. The words are as important as the idea, if not more. (The beauty of language, that kind of thing) A friend says I end up being a tad artificial. I think he is being polite. But the whole point there is to show off! I may be the only one being impressed, but hey, I count a lot with me.

At other times I write because i have to. The thing just wont stay inside me. Writing it down makes it more real, somehow. Like it has been engraved on stone or something. Also, there is always the hope that someone reads it and it rings a bell. I wont hear the bell, but i like the idea of being connected to invisible people. (Hmm. I thought i had more sense than that.)

Hah! Post dated whys are fun. Provided of course, they affirm what you have already done.

2 comments:

brainsnorts said...

hi. i just wanted to help you with something. in the first few lines you said "those that ask why..." it should be "those who ask..." when we use a pronoun for people, it should be "who" instead of "that" because we use "that" for things and animals. people get "who."

thanks for the writing. have a great day.

vinaya said...

Thank you. I stand corrected. And hope that neither my mom nor my english teacher ever get to see the original!

 
Locations of visitors to this page