Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Back to work. A new place, a new beginning. Somehow not quite along the lines of my past beginnings. Allow me to explain.

Flashback: my first job. Though I had got in the hard way [a test, a couple of interviews one of which gave rise to serious doubts about my ever having done engineering], I knew that I still had to prove myself. I had to start from zero and build up from there. People knew nothing about me, assumed nothing and expected nothing out of the ordinary [ordinary of course being completely subjective]. I could take my time, make my mistakes and learn.

Cut to IIT. Another beginning. Another start from zero. Lot more time, lot more freedom to make mistakes [because they hurt no one but you] and a lot more to learn.

Back to work. A new place, a new beginning. But no start from zero. The bar has been raised. My past has caught up with me! People know where I am from and hence assume something, expect something. Nothing out of the ordinary, to be fair, just that ordinary has become a little extra-ordinary.

9 comments:

vinaya said...

Aah, the optimist! This post would not exist if i had that confidence.
I wonder why all profs say that. Is is because life after a PHd is great and they want to spread the cheer? Or is it - "main to phasa, aur kiton ko phasaoon"? :P

Who Cares? said...

Same here :(
Actually, seriously... Why don't you do a PhD?

I'll answer that question you are wondering about. In Student Guide workshop, we were told this by Dr. Alok Bajpai:
If you are suffering because of reason X and you see people around you not suffering from it, you suffer it more. However, if you see 10 people around you suffering because of it, you feel much better!
He was referring to (X =) Ragging.
Here, X = PhD! :)

vinaya said...

I explain only because you said seriously.
I cant even think about it unless i have two questions asnwered -
1. under who
2. in what

In fact, if i find a satisfactory "under who", i am not too particular about the "in what"!

Neha Shah said...

Vinaya, I think you are born cartoon! :D But I sincerely hope, that few of your aspirations-that-led-you-to-do-a-masters-and-were-lost-along-the-way are met!

All the best!

vinaya said...

Thanks! Thanks! And thanks!
Hmm, think i should look for a cartoony name for myself?

Pooja said...

Bloggin chalu? Looks like ur hand is back in action ;)

vinaya said...

Yes mam! Cast away :D
Waise, my haath was not stopping me from blogging. It was this immense mental laziness, that has returned with full force :(

Sumit Sorde said...

HAHAA..Cartoony name..diya to thaa..bhool gaye Vinnie the poooh!

arre tension nahi leneka..kaam ka kya...sir par aaya to ho hee jata hai :)[this is wat i hv learnt frm acads!]

and for the PhD..generally its the "in what" that needs to be decided..b4 u search for the "under whom" issue..and obviously think a little "globally" if u want to do it in Systems!

vinaya said...

Oh yeah, pooh. It never stuck though.
Nahi re, mere case mein ulta hai. The "under who" is more important, because he is responsible for making sure that my PHd is not a fraud! And FYI, not thinking about it, not at all.

 
Locations of visitors to this page