Monday, July 21, 2003

Baddie rules

Long long ago, when i was a small child, my parents got us Badminton racquets. Really exited, bhai and i went out to play. Mummy was stading at the door, giving us instructions "Be nice to each other. Hit the shuttle in such a way that the other person can return it easily". And we followed. After all, that was the only way we could enjoy playing.

A few months later, i played with my father. He gave concession to the fact that i was a child, but could not resist hitting smashes once in a while. And, while one part of me adminred his smashes, another part used to get angry "Doesn't he want to play?"

Several years later, when i started working, i played with my colleagues. Nothing had prepared me for the way they played the game. The aim of the game was to hit the shuttle in such a way that the other person simply cannot return it. "Make him run, don't give it in his hand" they told me. And they were right. If i did make the mistake of giving the shuttle in his hand, i would be rewarded with a smash.

Now, i have learnt the rules of the game. My shots are no longer instinctive. I try to think before returning every shot. Try to place it such that the other person can't return it. And, i am rather enjoying the experience. Like one of my friends said "The feeling you get when you hit an unreturnable smash ... aaah"

Thats baddie, i guess. And thats life.

No comments:

 
Locations of visitors to this page